Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Dream #1 - Dreamers Empire

When I was a kid, maybe around 9 or 10 years old, I saw a cartoon of Goofy driving a car at Disneyland. Unlike the actual ride, it appeared to me  he was driving all through out the magical park. I was in a state of awed admiration, or wonderment. I asked my mom if we could go there some day  and I think she said maybe, which I decided meant yes. Indeed, in 1974 my family piled into our Pontiac Catalina and drove to California. Besides  getting car sick I have a ton of great memories from that trip. We stayed at a hotel in Reno that cost like $20 and breakfast was a couple bucks  at most, and we loved it. We swam in small hotel pools, played pinball machines, flew in my moms uncles plane over Los Angeles, saw Hearst castle,  but the highlight was Disneyland. Those cars btw, not quite what I had imagined. However, my dad was really impressed with Disneyland and I loved  that he felt that. At the end of the day we had 3 extra E tickets and not only did my parents allow us to ride Pirates of the Carribean one more  time, but they let me navigate my brother and sister there, through the park, on our own. This has to be the peek of wonderment in my childhood.

Having a company name like Dreamers Empire is a little tough to explain when your trying to pitch a distance tracking web site to a health care  company. I don't care, I love the name and I'm keeping it. And 40 years after that first trip to Disneyland I still love to wonder. I like to think about ideas and imagine working for myself. I enjoy looking back at the  visions of great folks like Walt and others who built great attractions at the Worlds Fairs. I enjoy the amazing architecture you see springing  up in Dubai and modern trains in China. I also enjoy talking to folks who are chasing a dream.

The purpose of this blog is to follow the pursuits of dreamers. I'm interviewing folks and discussing the highs and lows of pursuing a dream and what they've learned on their journey. The focus of the interview is what I call 'The  Dreamers Moment'. That moment is something that happens during the journey that feels magical. It makes you feel like you are on the  right trail, your pursuit is working out or you just experience something amazing. So while I'm chasing my dreams I'm going to continue interviewing other dreamers  and I hope to capture that sense of wonderment that inspires folks to keep dreaming.

0 comments: