Saturday, December 20, 2014

Wonderment - In Perspective

There are five basic food groups that our body needs, I should look those up some day. Similarly, there are some basic groups that the soul needs and  I'm going to give some thoughts on the "wonder" group. Wonder - to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe; marvel.

There is a memory from my childhood that definitely left an impression, my earliest memory of wonderment. I want to say I was about 4 or 5 years old  and my parents took us shopping at Christmas time. The mall or store we were at had Christmas lights and they seemed larger than life to me, almost  like I was seeing a new dimension. While I'm sure my parents had no idea what I was experiencing, I was filled with amazement, and it made me  wonder what more I had yet to experience.

The picture you are looking at is real, captured by the Hubble Telescope. It speaks of God's wonders. We are to behold His wonders and be amazed!

Psalm 40:5 - Many, LORD my God, are the wonders you have done, the things you planned for us. None can compare with you; were I to speak and  tell of your deeds, they would be too many to declare.

The mistake I often make is getting caught up with trying to create something wonderful rather than just behold it. While we are to work and pursue  things that are part of His plan, the reality is we contribute very little and in the end, behold something that is a lot bigger than us. Even Walt Disney  kept it in perspective. "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down  new paths."

My conclusion is that I'm happiest when I am beholding wonderment than trying to create it.

0 comments: