Friday, December 12, 2014

Exodus: Gods and Kings

Given I have written a version of this story I planned on seeing it regardless of my hesitation. I read the reviews and guess I went with very low expectations because I liked it more than I thought I would. Yeah, I had issues with the story but I want to give the film some credit.

I was almost an hour into the film and kept thinking, I'm enjoying this! The major reason I believe is because I've wrestled with trying to tell the story too, so I was looking for all of the elements of Moses life that they were trying to capture. They were there, albeit wrong in a few ways, I didn't feel like they were trying to reinvent Moses in some flagrant liberal message. So I'm thinking at that point "Try to remember when you stop enjoying this film." A lot of the enjoyment started subsiding shortly after that point, about when the plagues started, but I didn't leave feeling crappy.

First I have to contrast this with "Noah". That movie was never fun and I didn't like anything about it except perhaps Russell Crowe, a little. I like Christian Bale, he is a thoughtful actor who manages to evoke the emotions behind the kind of struggle a man like Moses must have gone through. I didn't care for the representation of God and I didn't think the relationship between Moses and God was the way we wanted to see it. I liked the way Moses defended what Israel meant, those who wrestle with God.

The biggest take away I wanted from that film was, is this the kind of movie that is dangerous, and I think its dangerous ground, so I'm trying to be careful. At one point I thought they might be trying to present an Oprah like "this is what I don't like about the Bible" message. That seemed to come and go, so while I'm not 100% sure what the writers, director were thinking, I don't think they nailed down that message. It seemed to me in the end they had it resolved OK.

All that said, this didn't come remotely close to the grand epic classic done by Cecil B Demil, and if you live in Minneapolis you can see it on April 1st, 2015 at the Heights Theater.

0 comments: